My cumquat tree is laden with fruit and I wanted to find a recipe that would use this rather tart ingredient. I have made a cumquat cointreau jam previously, but we are not great users of marmalade or jam, so I wanted something a little different.
I found a recipe on line for this cumquat cake and thought it sounded really nice. However it didn’t really use a huge amount of fruit so I still have a lot left. I didn’t appreciate I had so many spiderwebs on my fruit tree until I took this shot
The cumquats cooling after they have been simmered, and the dry ingredients. The great thing about this cake is that it is all put together in the food processor before putting into the tin. The slowest part is taking the pips out of the fruit. Mine seemed to be full of pips.
I didn’t have sufficient almond meal in my pantry so I decided to make my own from whole almonds. The final grind was not as fine as bought almond meal and I also left the skins on so it was a little darker in colour, but I think worked out really well.
I took some of this cake to work and explained that it wasn’t a really sweet cake due to the cumquats. Everyone really enjoyed it and had seconds, actually preferring that it wasn’t overly sweet, and enjoyed the texture of the ground almonds being a little more firm.
All in all a really nice cake, even if it didn’t use up many of my cumquats. I would make this again, and if there were no cumquats available you can use oranges instead.
I hope you enjoy making this!
- 300g cumquats
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 125g butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180˚C.
- Line the base of a 22cm cake pan with baking paper and grease the sides.
- Place cumquats in a pan and cover with water.
- Simmer 10 minutes or until soft, then cool.
- Cut in half and remove the seeds.
- Place all ingredients into food processor, including cooked cumquats with skins.
- Mix until smooth, scraping down the sides.
- Put mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for approx. 45 minutes, keep checking as all ovens vary.
- Remove when cooked and cool in tin for about 5 minutes.
- Place on wire rack to finish cooling.
- You can use oranges (2) in place of cumquats.
- Use macadamias or pine nuts instead of almonds.
- Replace the flour with an extra 1/2 cup of ground almonds.