I had come across a lot of recipes which used sour cream pastry and I thought it was about time I gave this a go. I found a recipe which I will share with you later and have cooked with it for three different pies this week.
We have had two savoury and then this sweet apple pie. The first pie was with spinach, ricotta and fetta. The second one was somewhat different with fresh salmon and prawns in a lovely filling, and I will make these again and share the recipe with you then. I found the pastry brilliant in all three versions and will definitely make this again and again.
I diced the apples small and gently cooked them with honey and cinnamon. Once cool they were put into the muffin tin pastry lined bases. I then put a pastry top on and decorated with a small walnut which is entirely optional.
My grandson ate some bought small apple pies earlier in the week, and I said that I would make some today for him. He said they were “the best ever” apple pies he had eaten, and could I make a large size the next time?
I have to admit they were rather good, full of apple and not too sweet for us. I will definitely be making these again either small or large.
Hope you enjoy them as much as we did.
- 3 apples - peeled, cored and diced (any variety)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Sour cream pastry
- Walnuts (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 180˚C and grease holes in a muffin tin.
- Add honey and cinnamon with apples.
- Gently cook apples until slightly soft, and allow to cool.
- Roll pastry on floured surface to desired thickness (I like mine rather thin).
- Use cutter to get rounds out of pastry.
- Line muffin tin with cut pastry rounds.
- Fill pastry cases with apple filling.
- Roll pastry and cut smaller circles for top of pies.
- Add tops to pies and gently press edges down.
- Cut a slit in the top of the pie.
- Either brush with milk or spray lightly with oil.
- Optional - put small piece of walnut on top.
- Bake until pale golden brown. (about 15 - 20 minutes depending upon your oven)
- Serve with custard, whipped cream or ice cream.
- I used sweet apples, therefore I didn't add a great deal of honey.
- If you prefer a slightly sweeter pie add a little more honey.
- If you use green apples you will need to add more honey (to taste).