Lamingtons are a must as part of your Australia Day celebrations. Usually here in Melbourne it is really hot around Australia Day. This year however we are having much milder weather and everyone will be able to enjoy their celebrations.
Whilst skipping through recipes on taste.com.au I came across this twist on a lamington. Instead of sponge cake with jam and chocolate coating and coconut, this version is frozen ice cream with chocolate and coconut – yum!
It is very easy to make, although you need to allow a little time in between each step. My husband could be heard complaining when I was softening all the ice cream, although the end result was well worth it.
A little hard to see but there was swirls of jam throughout the ice cream. I used plum because that was all I had but you can use raspberry or whatever you like.
What a great alternative to the normal lamington for Australia Day.
Happy Australia Day.
- 2 litres vanilla ice-cream
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 3 x 180g blocks dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 x 220g blocks milk chocolate, chopped
- 250g packet shredded coconut
- Grease a 19cm square cake pan.
- Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above edges of pan.
- Place ice-cream in a large bowl and soften slightly (don’t allow ice-cream to completely melt).
- Fold jam through ice-cream to create a marbled effect.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan and level.
- Insert sticks evenly into ice-cream in rows of 6 x 6.
- Freeze overnight.
- Remove ice-cream from freezer and stand for 2 minutes before removing from pan.
- Working as quick as possible, cut ice-cream into squares, insert a stick in the centre of each square.
- Place onto a baking paper-lined tray.
- Return to freezer. Freeze for 2 hours.
- Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds with a metal spoon, or until melted.
- Set aside to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place coconut in a bowl. Working in groups of 3 dip 1 ice-pop at a time into chocolate to coat all over and quickly press each side into coconut to cover.
- Return to freezer immediately.
- Repeat with remaining ice-pops. Serve.
- Any jam flavour can be used.
- I used only dark chocolate.